Wednesday, June 18, 2008

rebecca!

Rebecca and I don't really know how we met, but it must have been via Maria or Kate, other women we love but whom we have never met. To meet someone in person who you are only acquainted with through blogging is just so unbelievable cool. We had 15 dollar drinks in Manhattan:

Before opening the wine list, we decided to place bets on how much the most expensive wine would be. She guessed something like $799, mine was more like $300, knowing no better and knowing I had no chance of even coming close. After we opened it,
Rebecca made a joke about us being the big losers on some sort of Price is Right for the rich and powerful!

A couple of hours later, I took to walking alongside Rebecca to the subway station the way I do when I'm with anyone in a strange town who knows their way around. I just completely tuned out and strolled, ever-trusting, engaged in conversation, not caring if I was going north or south or east or west. It was the first time I had done that in four days, and it felt really really good to just let go after always being so hyper aware all the time. She got me to the right place, and here we are on the C line, me heading back to my family in the raucus but cheap hostel on West 103rd, and she heading home to her family in Queens:

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

An apt description "hyper aware." I am so grateful that we met, and happy to have provided you a moment to relax in your travels!

r.

Anonymous said...

That's great that you met through the blog world.

But $6K for a bottle of wine! That's nuts.

Maria said...

What a couple of fine looking women and you both have such lovely choppers! So white and pearly!

I'm glad you had a fun time...