Tuesday, July 1, 2008

nyc in summer

I often get overwhelmed when there is too much to say. I think that's why I like poems so much, because they are microcosms of moments. I spent five days with my family in New York City- that's enough to overwhelm anybody I suppose! How about a list? A list would be good. Here are some of my observations and experiences, and some pics to go with.

dark-skinned women with light-skinned infants and toddlers all throughout Central Park. I did not, of course, take any photos of them. But I did spend a lot of time wondering about the women who were at work for the day (both dark and light) while we were wandering through Central Park on vacation.


G and B and U trying to be cool and NOT hold onto the handrail on the subway


finding a chrysomelid beetle (if you know my husband, you know this is not really unusual) while walking around the top of the Empire State Building. I didn't get any pictures of it, but I did get one of a pigeon.


a young woman who stopped mid-jog over the Brooklyn Bridge to ask us if we would like her to take a picture of all four of us (it's the only one we have from the whole trip)


the unexpected friendliness of people on the street

the hostel we stayed at where 20-somethings partied until all hours and neither John nor I had the heart to tell them to be quiet because we remembered our own hostel traveling days. Thank god for the air conditioner whose white noise and coolth a. kept us from dying in the heat and b. kept us from committing murder

B always trailing a pace or two behind, but never once complaining

texting Marina in secret in the Natural History Museum, awaiting the moment when Ursen showed up and surprised the boys. We were looking at these cool creatures. I always like the microscopic ones best


Melissa (another one from this group) and her 12-hour workday reality. I hadn't seen her in, like, 15 years!


realizing that immigrants still come to New York, looking for something, hoping that what they find will be better, somehow, than what they left behind. It often is, but is not always apparent. At least not right away.


Remember Marina's kitchen?



And hey, anything's pretty much better than what we've got:

5 comments:

Kate said...

You got some great shots! I'm especially drawn to the Bubba Gump sign.

Friar Tuck said...

Sounds like you were having lots of fun

reliv4life said...

Glad you had fun! I am also intrigued by the Bubba Gump sign!!

Anonymous said...

Great trip. How funny we were family-vacationing at the same time.

Rebecca said...

That was a busy week! How was Ithaca?

Being overwhelmed with all there is to say I completely understand. Being able to distill it down to poetry I greatly admire. That is a talent I do not possess!