Monday, April 2, 2007

woman with red banana tree

I can't remember the last time I purchased something that made me so happy. Don't get me wrong; I know money can't buy happiness and all that crap. But THIS, my friends, is a painting entitled "Woman with Red Banana Tree, Part 2" by Cuban painter Johan Garcia. (Part 1 is with some doctor on the east coast). And it is now hanging in my living room!

I have had my eye on this painting for at least four weeks. Every time I stopped in for a coffee in the afternoon, I would ask Guillermo if he had sold "my" painting yet. Finally, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I walked up the street, into the gallery, and bought it. Just like that. After weeks of staring, dreaming, passing by.

I don't know much about Mr. Garcia, only what Guillermo Alvarado of Cucuru Gallery and Cafe told me: that he is an up-and-coming Cuban artist. Even an internet search revealed nothing substantial. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that this painting is my upsilamba.


Someday, I shall live where grow banana trees.

3 comments:

Klayton said...

A very fine piece.

Anonymous said...

Great painting but the Maroon Bells are lonely...

Anonymous said...

beautiful art, beautiful choice by a beautiful woman