Tuesday, May 20, 2008

upon waking

I awoke from one of those naps today, you know the kind, where you don't know where you are, who you are, or what time of day it is. The light is slanty and it could be morning or evening or afternoon. You come of out of a dream about people you love, only to realize, slowly, that they're not there with you. Disoriented, drugged, and heavy, you finally come to after a few minutes, and jump up because you suddenly remember who you are and that you have to pick the kids up from school at 2:30. You look at the clock. It's 2:20. You marvel at the fact that you have just slept for nearly two hours, and stumble out the door to your car.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was me today, sort of. I stayed home all day to do some deep housecleaning. I ate a late lunch around 2:30, and felt drowsy an hour later. I laid down on the couch for about two hours, and woke up and looked at the cat. For about twenty seconds I knew neither her name nor mine. It was a strangely beautiful feeling. Like God had temporarily shaken clean the Etch-A-Sketch screen of my existence.

reliv4life said...

Hope you are feeling rested now. Isn't it weird when I fall into a deep sleep like that during the day? It is disorienting...

Anonymous said...

I've done that. It's a good thing you woke up in time, though!

Kirsten said...

What are you talking about? That's me just about everyday...Narcoleptics "r" us ;-)