Monday, May 12, 2008

flea lice

Help end world hunger

Myanmar. China. Two good reasons to play this game. As if there weren't enough already.

I usually make it to about level 40-42, but I never play longer than about 600 grains of rice or so at a time. I like the fact that if you miss one, it will eventually come back to it so you get the chance to get it right. Tonight I learned that a proem is a preface. I like that it's the word "poem" but with an "r" in it. I'd like to write a proem for a poem.

Re: The title of this post-
Everytime I think about "Free Rice", I hear it with a Chinese accent, so it always comes into my head (no pun intended) as

"Flea Lice"

So play. Let me know what level you made it to. Tell us how many grains of rice you donated. And try not to think too much about whether or not it will all get to where it needs to go.

One last thing: it really is much more fun if you play it WITH someone!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love this game. Knowing my passion for words, the link was sent to me some time ago by my former assistant. That it (hopefully) gets to do some good in the world is a nice bonus!

See you soon.

Unknown said...

I believe it only pays to play this game philanthropy-wise (new word acquisition aside) if your computer is always on, and you have nothing better to do. I read that PC usage world-wide is on par with the airline industry in terms of energy consumption and global pollution. Each community can be likened to a jet. I do love the game and feel good about myself when I play it. I googled rice weight, and the average grain is 20-30 mg; sometimes heavier.

Unknown said...

Oh, my average level is usually a 40 or 41 or 42. I haven't made it to level 43 yet!! There is one word that I keep insisting has a different meaning no matter how many times it appears. My brain walks out of my skull and goes to Pizza Hut or something.

suesun said...

I've only made it to level 43 once, and that was when I dragged John into it with me. His knowledge of science root words (and ships)helped tremendously!

don't let your brain linger too long at Pizza Hut.......

P.S. for those of you with kids-under the "options" menu you can change the level to start all the way down at level 1 or 5 or 10. I'm going to start making mine donate a few hundred grains of rice before they can play a computer game! :-)

Kate said...

Whew! Addictive! I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it and ended up playihg for 20...

Anonymous said...

45, 720 grains. I gave up after a few minutes because I'm too tired, but I'll go back later and try again.

Anonymous said...

I am such a word geek, this is too highly addictive for me! I got to level 44, donated 2000 grains, then started getting loopy. I think I was on there for over 10 minutes. My children are looking at me like, mom, do you remember me?