Saturday, September 12, 2026

September 11, 2001

we're all walking ironies now, like -- 

I'm wandering around inside our third house, 

wearing a t-shirt that says:

 "I left my house and went to a show"


and how my body feels more grounded 

after a day in the pool; skin alive 

with chlorine and slight sunburn –

the kind that will turn to tan instead of cancer


why yes, we are all wondering if we're clever

we’re certainly uncertain but determined,

never knowing where we’re walking to 'til we're there


September Eleventh ellipsed around again 

orbiting our psyche like we orbit the sun

and suddenly I can see the exact shade of brown

the carpet was, feel myself sitting crosslegged on the floor

only a few feet from the tv


thirty-four, and still in our first house--

the one off Fillmore

no friends to call; no one at all


it's hard to remember how rootless I was then --

how tender; how almost alone

nursing a nine-month old, a 2-year old

snugged side right (a little too tight, a little too close)

absorbing too-many tears into their tiny hearts

their two tiny hearts now holding 

the heartbreak beat of the twin towers


this doesn't feel like love


out…

we have to go out now, get out now –

to the park, yes! 

(the big park, not the neighborhood one)

other moms!  more babies!

Swings!


and their little swinging feet,

reaching upward toward the blue blue sky so quiet --

so goddamn fucking quiet




No comments: